On the 07th of May in the period 10:30 – 12:00 representatives from the Military Academy took part at the kick-off meeting that included the institutions and individuals taking part in the INTERREG IPA Cross Border Cooperation Programme “Greece – Republic of North Macedonia 2014-2020″ project “Modern Tools for wildfires’ and Floods’ Risk punctual forecast and monitoring and innovative techniques for citizens’ safeguard awareness and preparedness” (PREVEN-T).
The meeting was attended by the following institutions/representatives:
- INTERREG IPA Cross Border Cooperation Programme “Greece – Republic of North Macedonia 2014-2020″ Joint Secretariat, Financial Officer – Mr. Giorgos Papapostolou
- Geotechnical Chamber of Greece – GEOTEE: Mr. Mamalis Spyridon, Mr. Nick Poursanidis
- Military Academy: Vice-Dean of Military Academy prof. Mitko Bogdanoski – a coordinator of the project, assist. Prof. Dimitar Bogatinov and Mr. Nikola Kletnikov.
- National Park „Pelister“: Ms. Violeta Sotirovska
This kick-off meeting, which was led by the project coordinator Mr Mamalis Spyridon, President of Geotechnical Chamber of Greece – GEOTEE, had a goal to familiarise the attendees with the details, plans and activities of the involved institutions, fine-tuning of different aspects of the project activities, explanation of financial rules and procedures, as well as sharing ideas about the research methodology regarding the development of the methodological framework for the PREVEN-T project.
Also, a detailed plan for the preparatory phases of the project was presented and approved by all the partners.
The project is scheduled to start in May 2021.
Objectives of the Project
In particular, the project considers integrated methods using innovative ICT tools and models to develop actions at four levels of natural disasters management:
- Planning level: Development of rapid-response forecasting models (Information System for monitoring of fire detection and early warning, surface water and fragile vegetation pollution model, high-resolution weather model, hydrological model).
- Prevention level: Organizing Educational and Training Seminars (e-learning platform) for students, Citizens and Civil Protection Authorities staff and Municipal employees aiming to their awareness and preparedness against Natural Disasters and Technological Risks.
- Response level: Development of Emergency Management Frameworks that underscores the linkages between climate change and emergency management.
- Rehabilitation level: Upgrade of a Local Information Center in the National Park “Pelister” and establishment of a Laboratory for educational and research purposes in the field of disaster and risk management in Military Academy “General Mihailo Apostolski” – Skopje, aiming to observe, confront and mitigate the impacts of natural disasters.